Comments Closed – the winner is: One Scrappy Gal – email me @ kim (at) mommyknows (dot) com
Welcome to week 6 of â€”> Happy Book Day to You ~ the Series
Do you remember way back in December, I held a Happy Book Day Giveaway on my birthday? Well I enjoyed it so much (because books are my favorite thing), I thought Iâ€™d make it a weekly occurrence. For the next several weeks you can count on a â€˜Happy Book Day to You ~ the Seriesâ€™ giveaway every Tuesday.
Lights Out Liverpool (by Maureen Lee)
It has taken me six weeks to put this up. This is one of my favorite books from one of my favorite authors. I love, love, love this book, and I am forcing myself to give it away.
Here’s the author synopsis of ‘Lights Out Liverpool’:
The residents of Pearl Street, Liverpool, are having a street party, but a shadow hangs over the festivities. It is l939 and Britain is on the brink of war.
For Annie, the outbreak of war means constant worry for her twin boys, already sent to France. And for Sheila, the birth of her sixth child is eclipsed by fear for her husbandâ€™s safety as he faces the daily threat of U-boat attack. Her sister, Eileen, whose marriage is not all she had hoped for, finds that work in a munitions factory brings far more than a much-needed wage.
But the war brings other changes too: when Freda and Dicky, the grubby, least-cared-for children in the neighbourhood are evacuated, their new lives change them beyond recognition â€“ and their mother finds it is not easy to bring them home.
Some simple rules and things to remember:
1. This book is second hand. Iâ€™ve read it, I liked it and I am giving it to you. It may possibly have coffee rings or warped pages from sitting on my night stand. Call me cheap, or call me environmentally friendly, Iâ€™m not bothered either way.
2. Consider passing it forward when you are done, you could even have a giveaway! Remember, what goes around comes around.
3. You must come back here to see if you are the winner. I wonâ€™t track you down, if you wait to long â€¦ I might lend it to a friend or a neighbor and then YOU are out of luck. You need to email me with your address, once I receive it I will pop it in the mail to you at my convenience.
4. To be eligible to win, you need to leave a comment on this post. Iâ€™ll pick a winner sometime on Thursday, March 4th, 2009.
5. Tell a friendâ€”> this isnâ€™t really a rule, but it would be really nice. wink
**NOTE: this is not a paid advertisement — they’re my books and I am giving one of them away — because I am nice like that — just saying!**