Winner is: Jodi of thishandmadelife –> email me please Jodi –> kim (at) mommyknows (dot) com
Welcome to week 8 of â€”> Happy Book Day to You ~ the Series
Do you remember way back in December, I held a Happy Book Day Giveaway on my birthday? Well I enjoyed it so much (because books are my favorite thing), I thought Iâ€™d make it a weekly occurrence. For the next several weeks you can count on a â€˜Happy Book Day to You ~ the Seriesâ€™ giveaway every Tuesday.
I really enjoyed this book. I loved getting a glimpse of what life must be like for young women in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. In all the years my family lived in the Gulf, I had very few female Arab friends. This peek behind the veil was VERY interesting.
Here’s the publisher’s synopsis of ‘Girls of Riyadh’
A bold new voice from Saudi Arabia spins a fascinating tale of four young women attempting to navigate the narrow straits between love, desire, fulfillment, and Islamic tradition
In her debut novel Rajaa Alsanea reveals the social, romantic, and sexual tribulations of four young women from the elite classes of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Originally released in Arabic in 2005, it was immediately banned in Saudi Arabia because of the controversial and inflammatory content, while black-market copies of the novel were widely circulated. The daring originality of Girls of Riyadh continues to create a firestorm all over the Arab world, and the excitement has spread far beyond the Middle East-to date, rights to this novel have already been sold in eleven countries.
Some simple rules and things to remember:
1. This book is second hand. Iâ€™ve read it, I liked it and I am giving it to you. It may possibly have coffee rings or warped pages from sitting on my night stand. Call me cheap, or call me environmentally friendly, Iâ€™m not bothered either way.
2. Consider passing it forward when you are done, you could even have a giveaway! Remember, what goes around comes around.
3. You must come back here to see if you are the winner. I wonâ€™t track you down, if you wait to long â€¦ I might lend it to a friend or a neighbor and then YOU are out of luck. You need to email me with your address, once I receive it I will pop it in the mail to you at my convenience.
4. To be eligible to win, you need to leave a comment on this post. Iâ€™ll pick a winner sometime on Friday, March 20th, 2009.
5. Tell a friendâ€”> this isnâ€™t really a rule, but it would be really nice. wink
**NOTE: this is not a paid advertisement — they’re my books and I am giving one of them away — because I am nice like that — just saying!**